Monday, January 7, 2013

In the Grand Scheme of Things....Who Cares? Seriously?

Monday January 7, 2013: I have to preface this blog by saying that I am one of the biggest sports fans that I know, and that I watch nearly every sport that they put on TV. Football, both NFL and NCAA, basketball, both NBA and NCAA (even women's basketball), baseball, both MLB and NCAA, hockey, both NHL and NCAA, NASCAR, NHRA Drag Racing, INDY CAR, golf, whether it's the PGA, the Sr.PGA or even the LPGA. I even shoot sports pictures any opportunity that I get, whether it's little league, high school, college or professional sports. So you get the point, I LOVE SPORTS. However, the older I get the more and more I am starting to realize that it really is just a game. I used to be the kind of sports fan that it didn't matter who was actually playing in the game, if it was the Championship game, no matter what sport it was, I had to watch it until the end as I didn't want to miss someone becoming a champion, I didn't want to miss the celebration. Watching the confetti falling, seeing the players crying as they realize all the hard work that they had put in has finally paid off. I will admit that I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, and while it has been 17 years since they last won a Super Bowl, I still cheer for them (which I know is a waste of my time) and still hold out hope that maybe, just maybe I will get to see them win another Super Bowl.....but you know what? If I don't get to, it won't ruin my life. I am an Indiana Hoosiers fan in all sports, but specifically basketball. It's been 26 years since the last time they won a championship, and while I would love to see them win another one, it won't ruin my life if they don't. There are teams out there that I despise, and never want to see them win a championship, but even if/when they do....my world doesn't end. I still wake up the next day and go on with my life. It's really hard for me to believe that I am actually typing all of this being the sports fan that I am.....but the older I get, the wiser I get, the more I realize that it is just a game, and there is more to life than just whose team wins a championship in their perspective sport. After all, what do I get from a team winning a championship? NOTHING What do I get if MY team wins a championship? NOTHING, except some bragging rights. So while many people around the world get ready to watch Notre Dame and Alabama play for the BCS National Championship title, I'm sitting here watching my Indiana Hoosiers play a meaningless basketball game against Penn State. I'm getting ready to go shoot a few pictures of people gathering to watch the BCS Championship game......and I think to my self....WHO REALLY CARES WHO WINS? Now I have a preference, but honestly, no matter who wins this game, I will wake up tomorrow (hopefully, God willing) and my life will go on. The only thing this game will determine is which fans I will have to listen to for the next several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment