Sunday, January 6, 2013

Because Lazy Days Are Deserved Sometimes:

Sunday January 6, 2013: There are many thoughts and opinions out there about what I like to call "lazy days". Here are a few examples of what I am talking about: "A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping enough in the grave." - Benjamin Franklin "Failure is not our only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others." - Jules Renard "Laziness is a secret ingredient that goes into failure. But it's only kept a secret from the person who fails." - Robert Half So as you can see, there are people out there that don't think highly of "lazy days". The reason I am bringing this up is because that is exactly what today has been for me....A LAZY DAY. You see it all started when I slept in passed 10:15am this morning and knew I didn't have time to rush around and get everyone to church on time by 10:45. Then, my wife and daughter had a birthday party to go to, that I didn't have to attend, so that gave me more time to just relax and do pretty much nothing. So I decided that today was going to be my lazy day.....my day when I did pretty much nothing all day except for that which I wanted to do. I decided that today would be a good day to watch movies, or TV, or music videos....pretty much anything that entitled me to just sit on my butt and do nothing. I watched the movies Super 8, and The Hunger Games, I watched NFL Playoff football (both games) and I even watched a few music videos. While I did do all of these things, I did also have stuff to do around the house at the same time, so I didn't get to just sit around, I did a few things around the house as well. But it still was a lazy day. So I got to thinking about it and wondering how I felt about this idea of having very little productivity, and a lot of lounging. I decided that I am totally okay with it, as sometimes these lazy days are deserved, even warranted if you will. Here are a couple of quotes that I like concerning laziness. "Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard I am totally okay with that thought. "I like the word 'indolence'. It makes my laziness seem classy." - Bern Williams But as I was thinking about this whole idea I thought of my most favorite quote on this subject. Genesis Chapter 2 verse 2: (NIV) "By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work." So as you can see, even God rested. Even God had a lazy day. I am in no way comparing myself to God, nor am I calling my missing church today "okay". But I am saying that if it is okay for God to have a day of rest, then it surely is okay for the rest of us to have a day of rest, and relaxation. A lazy day if you will. I hope you all had a great weekend, and were able to relax and get yourselves ready for the work week ahead. Week one of 2013 is in the books, and so far it's been a good year, and with the help of friends, family and my faith in God....I've been able to keep myself positive, upbeat, and on top of my depression. Enjoy the rest of your night.

No comments:

Post a Comment